A Guide To Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome happens when the nerve in your wrist is under pressure. It can be a painful injury that impacts your quality of life until it heals.
In this article, you can learn about the causes and symptoms of carpal tunnel in Belmont. You can also learn how chiropractic care can help you with this condition.
The Causes Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
You may suffer carpal tunnel due to the nerve running through your wrist and hand becoming irritated. Some possible causes include:
– A broken wrist
– An illness such as diabetes as this can cause nerve damage
– A side effect of medication
– Being overweight
– Fluid retention
– Due to a medical condition, for example, kidney disease or thyroid disorders
– A repetitive strain injury. This could be caused by working in an office, building site, or any job that involves doing repeated motions using your hands
Symptoms Of Carpal Tunnel
To start with the symptoms of carpal tunnel are not usually severe. the condition usually worsens over time. Symptoms include:
– Tingling or numbness. In your fingers or hands, you may start experiencing a feeling of tingling or numbness. For some these feelings become constant after a period of time.
– Loss of strength. As the carpal tunnel worsens your ability to grip objects may get weaker. This can be caused by the numbness or a weakening of the muscles. The muscles can weaken as the nerve that is affected controls the muscles used for gripping.
Tips To Prevent Carpal Tunnel
There is no guaranteed way to stop carpal tunnel developing, but you can try the following to reduce the risk:
– If your job involves repetitive movements of the hand, then take frequent breaks, use the breaks to gently stretch and bend your hands and rests.
– Correct your posture. Keeping correct posture is vital to lowering your chances of suffering an injury. Learn the correct way to sit and position yourself correctly when using a mouse or keyboard.
– It may also help to keep your hands warm. If your workplace is cold the wear gloves if possible.
How To Treat Carpal Tunnel
If you notice the symptoms early, then carpal tunnel may heal on its own provided you avoid making it worse by taking frequent breaks and avoiding anything that could put more strain on the affected wrist.
In the event it doesn’t heal then you will need to get medical help, options include:
– Wearing a wrist splint through the night.
– Anti-inflammatory drugs
– A steroid injection
– Surgery may be needed in serious cases.
In addition to consulting with your doctor, visiting a chiropractor can prove to be beneficial.
Can Chiropractic Treatment Help Carpal Tunnel in Belmont?
Chiropractor care can offer a treatment that helps with carpal tunnel in Belmont. You will undergo an initial assessment that may include x-rays.
Once the chiropractor has discussed the results with you, then a treatment plan can be formed.
Treatment will vary depending on the severity, but you can expect it will include some of the following:
– Rest the injured arm
– Use a cold compress to reduce inflammation
– Discuss suitable exercises
– To wear a splint
– A spinal adjustment. Your whole body is connected via your spine, a spinal adjustment can help to realign your spine which can mean a reduction in pain and a quicker recovery time.
The chiropractor’s goals are twofold, to help you with your immediate problem and to help you live a healthier life. Apart from the treatment for the carpal tunnel, you can get advice on issues such as exercises to do at home that can help reduce your risk of future injury.
Carpal tunnel syndrome if left untreated can be painful and cause a reduction in mobility. It is important if you feel symptoms to get checked and get diagnosed.
Chiropractic treatment is a great way to get treatment, pain relief, and a plan to reduce the risk of future injury. Give us a call at Infinity Spine to learn more about how we can help relieve your carpal tunnel pain.