SUFFERING WITH SCOLIOSIS IN BELMONT?
Scoliosis is not an overly common disease, but it does affect 2-3% of the population or six to nine million U.S. citizens. Scoliosis is spread equally between men and women and mainly starts in children between the ages of 10-15.
Here at the Infinity Spine Center we treat a number of patients suffering with scoliosis. Read more below to learn about the causes of scoliosis and how chiropractic treatment for scoliosis can help.
What is Scoliosis
Scoliosis is a condition that means the spine twists or curves to the side. In some cases, it can cause the ribcage to be pulled out of position.
The condition is defined as an abnormal spine curvature over 10 degrees. The curvature is mostly to the side causing rotation of the spine
Any part of the spine could be affected if you develop scoliosis.
What Are The Symptoms Of Scoliosis?
The symptoms of scoliosis include:
– a curved spine
– if you lean to one side
– your shoulders may become uneven
– A hip or shoulder may stick out
– Your ribs could stick out on one side or the other
– Your clothes may no longer fit you correctly
– You may experience back pain
If you notice any of these symptoms, then it is crucial to see a doctor for a diagnosis and treatment. If left untreated you are at risk of the condition worsening. In severe cases, there could be damage to the heart or lungs plus pain and deformity.
How Is Scoliosis Treated?
Once a diagnosis of scoliosis in Belmont has been made, the doctor will discuss a plan of treatment with you. There are many factors considered such as age and type of scoliosis.
Children have 3 possible treatment options, they are:
1. If the cause is unknown, then in many cases the doctor will advise monitoring the child. As the child grows, further treatment won’t be necessary provided the curve doesn’t worsen.
2. Depending on the severity of the curve a back brace may be an option. The brace will prevent the curve from getting worse but won’t fix the existing curve. The goal of the brace is to make sure it doesn’t get worse.
3. In severe cases, especially if the heart or lungs are at risk, then surgery is an option. During the surgery, the bones of the spine are fused together, this prevents any further curving.
Adults that are diagnosed with scoliosis have similar treatment options. You may be offered the following depending on the type of scoliosis you have:
– Recommended exercises to help build strength
– Medication plus back braces
– An epidural or injection to block the nerves
Can A Chiropractor Help With Scoliosis?
Visiting a chiropractor can help you to manage your scoliosis and improve your spinal function.
After an initial assessment that may involve x-rays, the chiropractor can begin treatment. Treatment will often involve performing a series of techniques to realign the spine. The purpose of this is to help improve the spinal function.
A curve can’t be cured but can be managed to prevent worsening.
The chiropractor can also discuss safe exercises for you to do at home, so you begin managing the condition. If you need it, advice on diet, posture, and mental health can also be provided.
contact us today for Help With your Scoliosis
Scoliosis can occur at any time without reason. It is important to seek help as soon as you notice symptoms to prevent the condition worsening.
Chiropractic treatment for scoliosis can be a great way to prevent further curving of the spine and build a healthier lifestyle. Contact the Infinity Spine Center for help.